Monday, June 15, 2009

To Kinder or not to Kinder?

As many of you may know, according to Hawaii public schools, Emma should start Kindergarten this fall. She has a November birthday, and here in Hawaii, the deadline is December 31st. I was very excited at first at the thought of Emma getting in early and taking advantage of all that kindergarten has to offer.... then reality set in. Do I really want to send my four year old to Kindergarten? Plus, back when I was in Kindergarten, the classes were half day and you chose am or pm kindergarten, not here. Because so many parents have to work to get by here, the kindergarten is full day and 5 days a week. The more I pondered whether Em was ready or not, I began to envision her play time decreasing and her work time increasing. No, I can't possibly push her in school now and part 1- with her all day and 2- make her give up her preschool play time.
So, after much discussion with my hubby and some deep thinking... we have decided to hold Emma another year in preschool. Since we will be moving half way through the year, it just seems like the best solution. Downsides: it of course cost much more for private preschool and it is only 2 days a week for a couple of hours and may not challenge her near enough .... all and all.. who cares?
Here is my question for all those mommies of young ones out there: what is your area like as far as cut off dates and is your kindergarten full day too? I just hope that Hawaii cut off dates aren't the norm and that we are making the right decision.
Aloha.


As a follow-up, I found this link to support my thoughts. In most states, she would not make the cut-off, phew....
http://users.stargate.net/~cokids/kindergarten_cut-off_dates.htm

5 comments:

The Scogin Family said...

Here in VA the cut off is the last day in September. In Texas it's September 1. SOO, she wouldn't be in school in other states anyway. I'd say let her enjoy her play time but you could also look at what the standards for starting kindergarten are and work on some of those with her at home. Lily and I do "school time" and she just loves it. We literally do just 30 minutes or so, but it's at least something. Just some thoughts! :)

Nic said...

5I totally agree, she already can write all her upper and lower case letters as well as her name and all of the members in our family's names. This is why I knew she would be ready for Kindergarten as the standards here in Hawaii... are very low... ie hold a pencil, identify shapes and colors and such (things she learned by the time she turned 3). And the preschool she will be attending addresses all this too, but I agree that at home is very important too, I use a program with a ciriculum online called preschool at home. It is fabulous. Thanks for the comments Laura.

dusty kay said...

Nic, she may be ready academically, but is she really ready emotionally? All day everyday for a 4 yr old? I wouldn't think so. But I don't know Em (sadly) either. And my honest opinion....they grow up WAY to fast, and they are gone more and more as they get older.....sad. Enjoy her home 1 more year. I think you guys made the right decision. I know in Utah the cut off date is Sept 1. I would bet Hawaii is the only place with a cut off of Dec 31. Keep doing what you are doing. She'll be fine....and you'll be thankful she was home...

Ben, Emily, Noah, Hudson, and Amalia Selph said...

I agree with your helpful friends here... time is precious and short with these kiddos. Hopefully when Emma does go to Kindergarten, she'll be on top and possibly even more of a leader. I've been stressing about these issues myself! Can't have these years back though.

HallWalking said...

Im not sure on Emmas exact age and stuff, but I started high school at 14 and turned 15 in October, and it sucked BAD! I had graduated and moved to St george before I was even 18. They changed the cut-off date.. Kellye was 16 in October her sophomore year, was able to drive and date and I think had more fun that year than I even came close too... But not being able to date or drive until your Junior year might sound a little more awesome the older she gets ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...